Friday, May 24, 2019

Frugal Friday

Yesterday I wrote a long post about my annoying, miserable bosses. Then I reread it, fine tuned it, added a picture, previewed it, reread it again , and went to bed. This morning I DELETED it. I don’t want to have negative icky posts on my blog. Let me tell you, the writing and deleting was cathartic. Anyway, this is the picture I had selected for that post:
My boss excels at making simple tasks complicated
Today was wonderful because both bosses took the day off. And it’s Friday and the start of a holiday weekend.

On to something else. . . many finance bloggers have a weekly post dedicated to the week’s frugal and thrifty activities. I decided that would be a better topic for this post.

Someone said being thrifty is when you spend less on things you don’t care about so you can spend more on the things you do. The funny thing is my husband and I like all the things we do that save money more than the expensive alternative.

1. On Monday my husband and I did a trail run with our running club. It was the final run and party for the spring series. I brought a homemade pasta salad to share. The run, the delicious barbecue dinner, and the live entertainment were all free.

2. One of our cars had a recall notice and we brought it to the dealership to be taken care of (free of course). Said vehicle also needed an oil change. Rather than pay the expensive dealership price, my husband brought it elsewhere and used a $20 off coupon. He gets major kudos for this; I would have been a one stop shopper.

3. I brought my lunch and beverages to work every day this week. I had salad every day with some type of protein: tuna, chicken or hard boiled eggs. For my snack I brought fruit four days and a yogurt one day. I put the yogurt in the freezer at work and by lunchtime it was a semi-frozen treat.

4. I carpooled to work with my daughter three days this week. Most weeks we carpool every day. Her last job was on the way to my job. Her new job is even closer. See side note below.*

5. My husband mowed our lawn. At least half of my neighbors use lawn services. That can’t be cheap! Someone from the lawn service jokingly (or for real?) asked my husband if he wanted to come work for them. Hubs said his rate is $50 an hour.😉

6. I made homemade iced tea. This costs pennies to make and it’s better for me than diet soda.
Delicious iced tea 
*Side Note Below - I heard from the new job. If you recall from last week’s recap post they called my references. This week, potential new boss called to say they were submitting the appointment package to HR. If I get this job, I will be working even closer to my daughter. Gee, we plan well!

No comments:

Post a Comment