Saturday, July 13, 2019

One Month In

Although today is a Saturday it is the one month anniversary of the date I started my new job. I have to admit that I struggled a little the first three weeks. Not with the work itself - that I am learning. Rather, I was surprised at how much less volume of work there is at the new job. This work has a routine of monthly, quarterly and annual reports and budget duties. At my old job it was just nonstop.

It really was an adjustment to accept this slower pace. Last week, which was my fourth, I was finally able to accept that less is Ok.

One thing that helped was an email from a former coworker. I was on the committee that hired him at the old job, but I didn’t work with him directly. A few months ago, he accepted a lateral transfer to the agency I work for now. We work one floor apart and have not crossed paths yet!

He left our old agency for the same dissatisfaction with management that I felt. In his recent email he said that the work volume here is far less than it was at the old job. Then he wrote “you get used to it”. One month in, I am getting used to it.

And now a segue to work clothes. I was mentally keeping track of what I wore to work each day. One nice thing about changing jobs is that all your clothes become “new again” because the new coworkers haven’t seen them. I wore a different outfit for 19 straight days. That means I went almost a month without repeating an outfit.

Looking at my summer work wardrobe, I have around 5 dresses, 10 or so tops, 4 skirts and 4 pants. I also have a lot of shoes. To some people that may seem like a lot of clothes and to some it may be a little. For me this is enough - I don’t want more and I don’t want to spend my money on more summer work clothes.

However, I am excited because I found my favorite running shoes in my size online in pink (Mizuno Wave Rider 19). The current version is 22 which I had previously tried and disliked. I couldn’t even find the 20 or 21 in my size to try, so finding the 19 was awesome. I just hope they are legit and not a knockoff!

Muddy running shoes after a spring trail run 
Same garden this morning 
Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah on the less work volume!!!! Enjoy! I know that sounds weird but I believe your old job had you running ragged. Enjoy the peace of being on top of everything now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and clothes that is awesome! I remember when I was little looking at the Sears catalogs and they would have the wardrobe work sets for like $99 It was like a blazer, a skirt, slacks, yada yada. I always told myself I would guy that and wear that as an adult. Of course when I got to a age I could they no longer seem to make them. I see time capsule wardrobes are popular now which is kinda the same thing though. I need someone to add them together for me and say these all match. I do not have that girlie gene on matching clothing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a runner (well, a lapsed runner) and a gardener, so pictures of running shoes in a garden got my attention, ha ha. I hate buying work clothes because I feel like it's like buying a prison uniform...I mean, I have to be there, and I only dress that way at work...if that makes sense!

    ReplyDelete