Monday, October 7, 2019

Running Update

First of all, you may have noticed that I made some changes to the look of my blog. The picture behind the heading was taken in July in the Adirondacks and is a view of Algonquin from Iroquois. I blogged about that here.

This post is a running update.  Before I started blogging, I ran my first half marathon.  It was the Big Cottonwood in Salt Lake City Utah in September 2018. You guys, it was hard! I felt great for the first 9 miles. Miles 9 to 10 were so-so.  At the 10 mile mark, I was done in.  And I still had a 5K to go. I had to walk the last 5K and I was crying and blubbering the whole way.

But the silver lining (aside from the fact that yes, I did complete that half marathon) was that I knew I could comfortably run 9 miles. So, I signed up for and ran the StockadeAThon which is a 15K (9.3 miles) last November.

I am doing it again this November. I have routinely been running 3 to 4 miles but with the race only a month away, it is time to increase my mileage. On Saturday I ran 5 miles and it felt great. It took me 1:01:50 (12:22 pace).

Here is a screenshot of my running year to date:


That is 221 miles in a year, not a month! It doesn't appear likely that I am going to make that 450 mile goal I set for myself. On the other hand, I will meet my goal of running 12 races this year. 

The Lindenwald Trail Run was number 8. I was debating whether it counted as a race, because it was free and it was so low key. But, on the other hand, we had bibs, it was timed, and there were prizes. That makes it officially a race.

Coming up this year are Lawson Lake 5K trail run on Columbus Day, Squirrely Six 6 mile trail run on Halloween weekend, the above-mentioned StockadeAThon in November, and the Last Run 5K in December. Those four will officially give me 12 races and who knows - maybe I will even do a Turkey Trot for lucky 13!

Thanks for reading!

2 comments: