Thursday, June 13, 2019

New Beginnings

Today was my first day at the new job. So far so good. I shared my blog with former coworkers which meant having to be careful if I wrote about work. I am not going to share my blog here.

Before it leaves my memory (which is already happening) I want to post about the toxic trio that comprised my bosses at the old job.

When I started there almost 7 years ago I reported to the Director D. D was wonderful, kind, smart, funny, knew his stuff - a perfect boss. When he retired, D was on the committee for his own replacement. It was very important to D that the new person be someone who would be good to “his people”.

That good person was Director B. D and B overlapped for several months and that was a great time. Director B continued in the same manner as D. I was completely entrusted with my work duties. When I handed “packages” to D or B, they didn’t even glance at them. They signed right off on them. They trusted that I knew my job!

I should point out that I do not work in the medical profession where an error could be life or death. I work in a field where everything is fixable. If the rare error was made, it was my responsibility to rectify it.

When Director B retired, some higher power decided that the unit needed two Directors. That’s when they hired the two clowns. I called the top guy Stepford Boss (after The Stepford Wives) because he walked around like a robot who never shows emotion. His voice had no modulation - he talked like a robot too. If you asked a question he would quote regulations instead of just answering yes or no. He stayed away from us worker types and let his deputy run the show.

That of course was Asinine Boss, who had to create for himself a job where there previously was none. Nor did there need to be one. Asinine and I clashed from Day 1. He was contentious, angry, mysogynistic and always had to be right. He would change things not because they needed improvement but because he “knows better”. Not many people liked him.

Asinine decided he needed a lapdog so he recruited Useless for the task. Useless had been there longer than me and we got along ok in the old days. He was good at the work he used to do which slowly became obsolete as the unit created new systems. When the unit was reorganized, Useless went to work for Asinine and it was another story.
The management book my old bosses must have read 
So for the last few years I have had to report to 3 idiots instead of one human being. I have been doing the work longer than the three of them combined, yet I was micromanaged and criticized. Everything required three sign-offs instead of one. The packages would sit on their desks for so long that we would need to redo pieces because critical dates had passed (thus causing unnecessary work).

New Boss is young and he seems really nice. I think this is going to be a good new beginning.



1 comment:

  1. I've had experience with working "under" people who knew much less than I did, and it sucks. So glad you found a new job!

    ReplyDelete